This is a 30 minute workshop that introduces students to the use of micro-controllers and sensors.
- An Arduino UNO with a USB cable
- A DS18B20 sensor in a waterproof variant
- A 4.7k Ohm resistor
- 3 cables (m/m)
- A screw terminal for three cables.
To simplify the matter, use the screw terminal to fix the additional cables to the sensor cables and put the resistor between the red (5V) and the yellow cable (data).
- The Arduino software has to be installed on the computer. It is free and can be downloaded at http://www.arduino.cc
- For the evaluation of the data some sort of office software (Microsoft Office or LibreOffice) is required.
- Two libraries have to be installed as shown below.
Installing the libraries
Search for and install "OneWire" and "Dallas Temperature":
Other Material for the experiment
- A glass of water
- Two ice cubes